When the time comes to replace your old, inefficient windows, finding the right company to help can quickly become a part-time job. With hundreds of companies to choose from and dozens of available window options, finding just the right fit can be difficult. Your home is your single largest investment, don’t trust just anyone to work on it.
Here are 3 mistakes you don’t want to make when replacing the windows in your home.
1. Hire an unlicensed or uninsured company
- This just might be the single biggest mistake homeowners make every year. I know what your thinking, why would I hire a company that is not properly licensed or insured? Unfortunately most replacement window companies in Southeastern Michigan are just that, not properly insured. In order to be a licensed builder in the state of Michigan, you must pass an extensive examination. Licensed builders are held to a code of ethics and will most certainly be a better choice to hire if you want your project done right.
2. Make a decision without enough information
- When exploring your replacement window options be sure to get enough information. To often homeowners end up hiring the wrong company or choosing the wrong product simply because they didn’t have enough information. Do yourself a favor and before you make a final decision do a little extra research. Whether you go on the internet or talk to your neighbors, more information is key when making such a big decision.
3. Assume all windows are created equal
- Even after doing your homework you may be tempted to lump all replacement windows together. Though almost any replacement window sold today will be better than the ones currently in your home, they are not all equal. Replacement windows vary greatly in terms of efficiency, functionality, craftsmanship and even longevity. Just because it barks like a dog and walks like a dog, doesn’t mean it’s a dog. Go out of your way to learn what makes each replacement window different from the next. It is these differences that will help you make your final decision.
4. Hire a company because they were your cheapest quote
- There are things in life that you get what you pay for. For instance, a higher quality diamond costs more than a lesser quality diamond. The same hold true in the home improvement industry. If you hire a cheap contractor chances are you will get cheap work. When it comes to replacing your windows, be sure to collectively evaluate each company you speak with. Judge them not only on their quote but also the quality of window they sell, installation procedure and overall competency level. If you want high performance, energy-efficient windows you will have to pay for them. In the end you will be happy you chose a better window over a cheaper one!
5. Don’t consider security
- When it comes to protecting your home, your windows are an easy target for your average thief. Typically left open or unlocked, your windows create holes in your home’s armor that may be exploited by petty criminals. Today’s replacement windows can be equip with a variety of security features. From security glass that is difficult to break to tint that prevent someone from seeing inside, replacement windows can help protect your home while increasing its efficiency.
After 11 years of helping Michigan homeowners replace their windows I have come to 2 conclusions; it’s a good idea and it’s not cheap! Keep these 5 common mistakes in mind as you begin your replacement window journey.
This article has been written by the publishing staff at Pure Energy Window Company. We are family owned and operated replacement window company servicing all of Southeastern Michigan and Lansing.
If you are considering replacing the windows in your home, give Pure Energy a call today. Call (248) 446-6100 or click on the link below to get started!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window