Would you consider going outside on a 10° day without a coat? Probably not but when it comes to insulating our homes, most Michigan homeowners are falling short. Whether you live in the Motor City or the bunny ear of the Upper Peninsula, insulation is a way of life here in the state of Michigan. We learn from a very young age that we have to think twice before stepping outside. Cold temperatures require insulating strategies that become ingrained in our brains even before we learn to walk.
According to United States climate data, Michigan’s average year round temperature is 46°! This is 20° colder than the average temperature found in Arizona making Michigan a great state to open a coat shop. While we spend hundreds of dollars every year purchasing quality coats to properly insulate our bodies, many Michigan homeowners spend little to no money insulating their biggest asset, their home!
Before you face another brutal Michigan winter, do yourself a favor and continue reading below to learn why insulating your attic just might be the best investment you ever make.
Insulating your attic is a better investment than putting money in a 401k or buying Apple stock. Here are 3 reasons why you should be considering insulating your attic this year.
1. Save Money
- Everyone want to save money! Whether you have a coupon for Buy 1 Get 1 Free or you know someone who knows someone, saving money is a cool thing. Whether you know it or not, over the past decade the cost of residential utilities has gone up almost 50%! That means that the average Michigan homeowner is spending $900 more to pay the gas and electric bill than they did only 10 years ago.
- The United States Department of Energy agrees that residential homeowners can save between 30 to 50 percent on their utility bills if their attic is properly insulated. A properly insulated attic will help keep the lid on your home during our long cold Michigan winters. So what are waiting for? Insulate your attic today and start saving!
2. Make Your Home More Comfortable
- When I was growing up, my parents lived in an under insulated, 1950’s bungalow. This house never seemed comfortable. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer, it wasn’t quite right. Like most Michigan homes built between 1920 and 2000, my parents house was lacking the proper insulation it needed.
- If your attic has less than r49 chances are its not comfortable. By increasing the insulation in your attic your home will instantly become a more comfortable place to live. Much like a thermos with the lid off, your home’s inside temperature is only as good as the insulation in your attic. Without proper insulation, rooms in your home will have different temperatures resulting in a fight over where the thermostat temperature is set. By adding insulation to your attic, your entire home will be the same temperature making it a better place to live.
3. Because You Never Go Up There!
- When is the last time you were up in your attic? If your answer was never, you are not alone. Less than 10% of the U.S. population has ever been up in their attic. Hot as Hades in the summer and cold as an ice chest in the winter, your attic isn’t a very pleasant place to be.
- As a result of our inherent attic aversion, our attics become a place of mystery where things go unchecked and the boogieman just might live! Your attic is a great place for the world’s undesirable residents to take up a home. Birds, rodents, insects and mold can invade your home undetected and live in peace. Do yourself a favor and take a peak in your attic. You can evict the unwanted residents and evaluate your insulation needs all in one afternoon.
This article has been written by the publishing staff at Pure Energy Window Company. We are Family Owned and Operated insulation company servicing all of Southeastern Michigan and Lansing. If you are considering insulating your attic or just curious what your options are, give Pure Energy a call today. Call (844) 449-9990 or click on the link below to get started!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation attic insulation consultation with Pure Energy Window