Congratulations, you decided to replace your old inefficient windows with new cutting edge replacements. These new windows will add value to your home while decreasing your energy bills by as much as 30%!
Replacing the windows in your home is no small investment making it a great time to learn some techniques that will help prolong the life and look of your new windows. Properly maintaining your windows through periodic window washing, repair and basic maintenance can significantly influence their useful lifespan.
Replacing your windows every few years is no fun! Here are a few easy things your can do to ensure your new replacement windows last a lifetime.
1. Wash your windows
- Yup, you heard me correct! Even washing your windows once a year can significantly increase their lifespan. Gregarious amounts of dirt are caked into your windows every year. If your live in an Upper Midwestern state like Michigan, you understand just how dirty our snow can get. Spend an afternoon snow blowing Mothers Nature’s white powder off your driveway and pay attention to the color of the snow. The once white powder quickly becomes a dirty mess as it mixes with dirt from the ground and grease from the blower! This black colored snow is then deposited onto your windows as it is flung from the mouth of your blower.
- In the Spring take an afternoon and give your replacement windows some love. Take time to remove the screens and thoroughly clean your windows. If cleaning windows isn’t your thing, there are numerous companies that provide professional window cleaning services. Keep them clean, to keep them working!
2. Lubricate your windows
- When is the last time you lubricated your replacement windows? If your answer is never, you are not alone! Very few people perform this simple maintenance step every year. Properly cleaning and lubricating your windows will ensure quality window performance for years to come.
- Open the window and thoroughly clean all hinges and locking mechanisms with cleaning solution and a dry cloth. Once they are clean and dry, spray them with a generous amount of PTFE or alternative synthetic lubricant. Basic lubricating oil will work but can be messy and stain the clothes of people opening and closing the windows. PTFE lubricates remain where you spray them, making it a great choice when it comes to replacement windows lubrication. Opening and closing the window a dozen or more times will help work the lubricant deep into the window hinges and locking mechanisms. Keep them lubed, to keep them moving!
3. Check your window screws and bolts
- Though your Triple Pane Pure Energy Window frames are fusion welded together, there are still numerous screws and bolts that are used to complete these State of the Art replacement windows. Make sure that these screws are tight and not excessively corroded by Michigan’s 4 season parade! Any badly corroded screws should be removed and promptly replaced. If you allow these corroded screws or bolts to remain, removing them in the future may be quite difficult.
- Take an afternoon and visually inspect all the screws and bolts adorning your replacement windows. Replace the bad ones and make notation of the ones that may need to be replaced in the future. Replace your screws so you don’t get screwed in the future!
This article has been written by the publishing staff at Pure Energy Window Company. We are Family Owned and Operated replacement window company servicing all of Southeastern Michigan and Lansing.
If you are considering replacing the windows in your home, give Pure Energy a call today. Call (248) 446-6100 or click on the link below to get started!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window