Last year because I am a sentimental nostalgic, I decided to drive by the house I called home for the first 21 years of my life. My parents have long abandoned the 3 bedroom bungalow situated on the dividing line between Redford and the Motor City. Painted by my mother’s very own hands, the house looked almost as I remembered it. With the exception of the garage roof, which was in need of a doctor’s appointment, it looked almost as though my parents could still be lurking inside.
From the looks of it, the roof on the house was holding up nicely as I think I remember my parents coughing up the money to have it replaced before my grand exit. The garage roof however resembled the surface of an ocean with each shingle rising and falling like waves on the sea. Not a single shingle looked to be in its proper place, with many of them missing all together.
This unplanned journey down memory lane got me thinking about what homeowners like myself should be looking for when it comes to the health of our roofs. Here are 5 indications that you may need to replace the roof on your home…
1. Curling Shingles
- If the shingles on your roof are curling it is a sure sign that you need to replace your roof. Once your shingles begin to curl, there is no easy way to fix the problem. Curling shingles are both a sign of an aging roof and excessive heat build-up under the roof decking. If left unaddressed, curling shingles can easily be blown off your home by high winds leaving your roof bare and exposed to all of Mother Nature’s elements. F.Y.I…If the you decide to replace your roof because of curling shingles, you will also need to consider adding more roof ventilation to dispel the heat build up under the roof decking.
2. Roof Age
- How old is the roof on your home? Most roofing experts agree that a properly installed roof in Michigan will last somewhere between 20-25 years. The longevity of a roof is directly connected to how it is installed. If the old roof on your home was completely removed before laying the new one, it will last a much longer time. In addition, a properly ventilated roof will give you many more years of wear than a roof that is constantly punished with the unventilated Michigan heat. If the roof on your home has been installed over another layer of shingles and is older than 15 years, chances are you need to replace it.
3. Deteriorated Roof Valleys
- If the shingles are deteriorated in your roof valleys, it is a definite sign that you need to replace your roof. Valleys are one the most important parts of your roof as they get the most wear and tear over the years. As we all know and love, Michigan is blessed with 4 seasons. Each season gives Michigan homeowners something new to deal with. Whether it is the snow in the Winter, rain in the Spring, raging heat in the Summer or leaves in the Fall, Michigan roofs take a beating! The valleys on your roof help channel debris off your roof and into the gutters. If these valleys are compromised in any way, this debris will stay on your roof and cause leaks over time.
4. Missing or Broken Shingles
- This seems like a pretty easy one but surprisingly quite often overlooked roofing issue. Unless you take time to inspect your roof, a missing or broken shingle may go unnoticed. Broken or missing shingles greatly reduced a roof system’s ability to shed water and over time will become an entry point into your home. The two most common reasons for broken or missing shingles is excessive winds and physical damage cause by large falling tree limbs.
5. Missing Granules or Bare Spots
- Many things can cause your roof granules to wash away over time including improperly placed downspouts, lack of eavestrough, or poorly designed valley drainage on a second story. Aging and physical damage can also cause complete bare spots over time. The granules on a shingle are there to protect it against the sun’s heat. If these granules are washed away, the shingle begins to harden under the heat of the sun and thus loses its ability to protect your home. Granule loss on a roof system will accelerate aging and can become an entry point for water.
Pure Energy Window Company hopes that you have enjoyed this weeks blog article about residential roofing problems. Pure Energy Window Company is Family Owned and Michigan based residential replacement window company providing windows to homeowners throughout Southeastern Michigan and Lansing. Give us a call today to schedule a FREE No Obligation In-Home Window Consultation! Call (844) 449-9990 or click on the link below and one of our Window Experts will contact to you to setup an appointment.
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window.