I have grown up my entire life in Metro Detroit, thirty-five years right in the heart of Motor City. When I was a kid, I remember wishing that I actually lived in downtown Detroit because that was where my favorite baseball team the Detroit Tigers played. If I lived downtown I could simply walk over to the stadium and see Alan Trammell or Kirk Gibson any day of the week. In some strange twisted way I even thought that maybe they would become my friends!
It wasn’t till I got older that I began to understand that living in downtown Detroit wasn’t something many people wanted to do. See, I was born in 1980, the same year the Pac-Man was created, Ronald Reagan was elected President and Detroit was losing residents like it was nobody business.
In the 1950’s around 1.9 million Michigan residents called Detroit home but by the end of the 1980’s that figure had dropped to just about 1 million. Having lost almost half of its population to urban sprawl, Detroit was in need of a face-lift.
Today, Detroit’s population hovers somewhere around 680,000 residents, a far cry from the peak in the 1950’s. Though Detroit’s population will probably never be what it once was, there are some great reasons to take a trip down Michigan Avenue and see the city where Motown was created. Here are a few things to do in Detroit this winter.
1. Ice Skating In Campus Martius Park
- Though the temperatures in Detroit this winter have been unseasonably warm with highs in the upper 40’s to near 50 degrees, we all know these days are numbered. With normal average daytime temperatures around 25 degrees, ice skating in beautiful Campus Martius Park is a perfect alternative to a boring day in the house. Opened in 2004, Campus Martius Park is turned into a family fun ice skating rink every winter.
2. Have A Hot Dog At American Coney Island
- Open in 1917 by Constantine “Gust” Keros, an immigrant from Greece, American Coney Island is located right next to Campus Martius Park making it a great place to grab lunch after working up an appetite on the ice rink. American Coney Island is the oldest family owned restaurant in the city of Detroit. If you decide to go, say hello to Dan, Dan the Hot Dog Man!
3. Take A Trip To The Detroit Institute of Arts
- Face it, winter weather in Detroit is cold and being inside is preferred. Instead of taking your kids to the arcade to blow $100 on silly games, take them to the Detroit Institute of Arts and let them grow their brains. I was a little kid the first time my Dad took me to the DIA and let me tell you, I thought it was cool! Full suits of armor and murals that cover entire walls, the DIA has something for everyone.
4. Go To The Michigan Science Center
- Formally the Detroit Science Center, the Michigan Science Center is packed full of everything science. There are science experiments for the kids, planetarium shows for the adults and IMAX Dome movies for everyone to enjoy. Currently at the Michigan Science is a complete T-Rex skeleton on loan from the Field Museum in Chicago. Nicknamed Sue, this T-Rex skeleton is 42 feet long and 12 feet tall.
5. See A Detroit Red Wing Game
- Detroit has a rich history of hockey, being one the original 6 teams in the National Hockey League, the Detroit Red Wings have won the Stanley Cup 11 times (the most of any professional hockey team to date). If you don’t make it to a game this season, you will have one more chance next year before the Red Wings move to their new home in 2017-2018.
These are only a few of the many gems that exist in the beautiful city of Detroit, Michigan. Pure Energy Window Company is proud to call Metro Detroit home. Though we are located outside of the city limits, Detroit is the driving force behind our success. Most of our many customers each year, are in some way connected to Detroit’s rich automotive industry.
We here are Pure Energy proudly provide our UAW Auto Workers with some of the best windows available in the market today.
If you are considering replacing the windows in your home, give Pure Energy a call today. We have window professionals ready to provide you with a FREE In-Home Consultation.
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window.