It was about the time I got into high school and started thinking I was a pretty cool guy that I realized that my father had missed his calling. Throughout my entire childhood and into my adult years, my Dad worked at a factory. He made metal rollers that lined the floors of military cargo planes. I don’t think he truly liked his job but as most people say, it paid the bills!
Each day, with confidence and certainty, my father would deliver a weather forecast fit for a channel 7 broadcast. He was like my own personal weatherman, making sure I didn’t have plans to wash my car on what could possibly be a rainy day.
As a fitting transition to the present topic, this past Tuesday was Groundhog Day. The world was once again treated to an appearance by everyone’s favorite rodent, Punxsutawney Phil! Like my father, Mr. Punxsutawney has been right over the years only about 39% of the time. However even with such a poor success rate most wishful thinking Michigan homeowners tune in year after year to see what happens. This year was no exception and to the delight of mankind Phil did not see his shadow! So if you believe the tall tale, Spring is right around the corner.
As Spring ushers in, Michigan homeowners will begin to think of warmer weather and endless outdoor chores. As your Honey-Do-List grows here are a few things to consider tackling this Spring…
1. Inspect The Roof
- Winter in the Midwest is brutal; subzero temperatures, freezing winds and mountains of ice and snow. Like the windshield of your car, the roof on your home is the first line of defense when it comes to protecting the precious contents held within. In the Spring be sure to inspect your roof for broken or loose shingles as these can lead to water leaks throughout the rest of the year. Pull out your old binoculars to inspect your entire roof while keeping your feet safely planted on the ground.
2. Inspect The Gutters
- Even if you had your gutters cleaned out before the arrival of winter, snow and ice storms may have sent additional debris into your gutter systems. Just in case you forgot, April showers bring May flowers. Spring is a rainy time of the year and if your gutters are clogged with a winter’s worth of leaves and twigs, your foundation may pay the price. Keeping your gutters clean and free of debris guarantees that all of Mother Nature’s water is funneled away from your home and foundation.
3. Clean Out The Garage
- About halfway through ever winter, large craters of dirt and other gross crud begin to form around the cars in my garage. By the end of winter my garage resembles the surface of Mars rather than the concrete slab it once was. Cleaning the floor of your garage will once again give this often neglected space a fresh feel for the up coming warm seasons. While freshening up your garage floor you will also be able to reorganize and possibly get rid of some of your garage contents.
4. Give Your Lawn A Makeover
- Roll up your sleeves and get ready to get your hands dirty. Like most things, the winter can leave your lawn crying out in pain and in need of some tender loving care! Begin by removing any dead annuals and pruning back any perennials that have new growth back to the mulch line. Spend time walking around your yard pulling weeds while the soil is still soft and the roots have not bitten into the hard summer ground. Winter can also leave your soil unbalanced so a fresh application of fertilizer will probably be needed. A little attention now will lead to an impressive lawn in the Summer.
5. Inspect Your Windows
- Don’t allow the beautiful Spring weather cloud your memory. If your windows were drafty and inefficient this past Winter, then they will be no better next year! Spend an afternoon walking around your home both inside and out looking at your windows. Look for broken glass seals, cracked caulk, dry-rotted wood, uncompressed weather-stripping and hard to open windows. All of these problems are a good reason to consider replacing the old windows in your home. New windows will give your home an energy-efficient start to a new year!
Spring is a great time of the year in Michigan. After months and months of subzero temperatures, we are finally reminded why we stay in this crazy state. If you are considering replacing the windows in your home this Spring, Pure Energy Window Company has what you need. Give us a call today or click on the link below to set up a FREE No-Obligation In-Home Consultation!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window.