If the windows around your home no longer enhance its beauty, keep Mother Nature’s elements out or filter out your neighbor’s annoying dog, it may be time to consider replacing them. New windows provide a plethora of enhancing features to your home including lower your utility bills, improving the appearance of your home and even increasing its value. As you can see, replacing the windows in your home is a great investment but where do you start?
Replacing the windows in your home is an expensive proposition. You will not only need to keep in mind the cost of the new windows themselves but also the expense of their professional installation. Purchasing new, high-efficiency Energy Star rated windows in only half the battle as the installation of these new windows will determine their full energy performance for years to come. So what should you look for in a replacement window? Lets take a brief look at some of the more important characteristics of a quality replacement window.
1. High Energy Ratings
- One of main reasons you are considering replacing your old windows is to increase the energy efficiency of your home. Luckily for you, every replacement window sold in the United States today has an NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) sticker plastered to the front of it. The NFRC sticker provides a clear picture of a particular window’s Energy Ratings. Pay close attention to the NFRC sticker sections marked Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and U-Factor. Windows with Solar Heat Gain Coefficients and U-Factors at or below .25 are considered Highly Energy Efficient and only sold by Professional Contractors.
2. Quality Construction
- If you are like most homeowners, replacing your windows is not something you have been looking forward too. However, if replacing your windows is something you have to do this year, then we recommend thoroughly researching the construction of each potential window. Wood windows are beautiful but require yearly maintenance or they will rot and mold. Fiberglass window are strong but new to the market and don’t a proven track record in colder climates. PVC windows have been around for 50 years but they are not all created equally. Spend time learning the Pros and Cons of each of these window materials before choosing the right one for your home.
3. Solid Guarantee
- When we purchase something new there is this unrealistic, internal belief that it should last forever and never have a problem. On the contrary however, just because you bought brand new windows doesn’t mean you are out of the woods. Most replacement window problems occur within the first 2 years of installation. A solid guarantee will provide you with the safety blanket you need to get your windows repaired and back in working order. Look for a TRANSFERABLE GUARANTEE and not a LIMITED WARRANTY as most limited warranties are just that, limited in some fashion and will not provide coverage for years to come.
4. Professional Installation
- Just having the right tools doesn’t make your qualified to use them. A professional installation of your new replacement windows will ensure they perform properly for many years. A professional installation begins with an accurate measurement of the windows to be replaced. If your replacement window are not ordered correctly because of an inaccurate measurement, an unprofessional installer may make them fit and cause you major problems as the seasons change. Spend time researching a window company to make sure they use their own installers not subcontractors and that they are licensed and insured.
5. Reputable Company
- In the end, your replacement windows are only as good as the company that stands behind them. In the past 11 years I have heard the same story hundreds of times. We bought windows from a company and they gave us a Lifetime Warranty but they are no longer in business…Finding a reputable company to help you with your replacement window needs should be paramount in your search for the right window for your home. There are many ways to look into a company’s reputation including asking for referrals, looking them up on Better Business Bureau website, checking into customer testimonials or contacting the window supplier they work with. A reputable company will lead to quality windows that will last a Lifetime!
Replacing the window in your home is a great opportunity to both increase the beauty of your home and lower your utility bills. When looking for the right replacement window for your family, make sure to fully evaluate all of your options. By keeping these 5 areas in mind when selecting your next replacement window, you will insure that you are not only purchasing the right window for your family but also a window that will last for many years to come.
Pure Energy Window Company is a family owned and operated Michigan based replacement window company servicing all of Southeastern Michigan and Lansing. If replacing the windows in your home is something you are considering this Spring, Pure Energy has trained professionals that can assist you through this process each step of the way. Give us a call today at (844) 449-9990 or click on the link below to schedule a FREE No-Obligation In-Home Window Consultation!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation window replacement consultation with Pure Energy Window.