Over the past decade, more and more Michigan homeowners have begun to look for ways to lower their utility bills! From replacing windows to putting solar panels on the roof, energy conservation has truly become a national concern.
The windows and doors in your home get a lot of attention when it comes to energy savings. While replacing your old inefficient windows and doors is a great idea, the space above your head just might be your biggest issue when it comes to wasting energy. The truth of the matter is, most Michigan homeowners just don’t have enough insulation in their attics! If your attic is lacking the proper level of insulation it could be allowing precious heat and air conditioning escape!
Most people spend very little time in their attics every year. If it has been awhile since you are bravely ventured into your dark attic, here are 3 signs that your attic insulation is not sufficient.
1. Difficult to maintain a proper temperature in your home
- Do you find that no matter where you set your thermostat the temperature in your home never seems comfortable? An improperly insulated attic can leave you feeling very uncomfortable in your home! By increasing the amount of insulation in your attic by 10″, the rooms in your home will become warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Just because it is 5° outside doesn’t mean you have to be freezing in your home!
2. Your utility bills are too high
- As much as 80% of the energy in our home is lost through an improperly insulated attic space. Up until a few years ago, residential building code in Michigan was only r19 in our attics. Today the U.S. Department of Energy recommends r49-r60 for all residential Michigan homes! Adding more insulation to your attic will save you money and in most circumstances pay for itself in as little as 5 years!
3. During Winter you have stalagmite hanging from your gutters
- Ice dams are a way of life for Michigan homeowners. When temperatures drop as far as they do in our great state, ice is bound to form. If your attic is not properly insulated, precious heat escapes through your ceiling and eventually melts the snow on your roof. As the sun goes down and temperatures drop over night, large ice sculptures begin form around your home. The best way to avoid the formation of these “Goliath” stalagmite is to add more insulation to your home. This additional insulation will prevent heat from escaping from your home thus removing the possibility of ice formation.
This article has been written by the publishing staff at Pure Energy Window Company. We are Family Owned and Operated insulation company servicing all of Southeastern Michigan and Lansing. If you are considering insulating your attic or just curious what your options are, give Pure Energy a call today. Call (844) 449-9990 or click on the link below to get started!
Free No-Obligation Consultation
Request your free no-obligation attic insulation consultation with Pure Energy Window